The community knowns as Gladstone lies on the James River near where Nelson County joins with Buckingham, Amherst, and Appomattox counties. Like many small villages in Central Virginia, Gladstone began as a stop on a wagon road and later became a hub for transportation along the James River and Kanawha Canal. The original post office was called Horsley’s Landing, but in 1881, prominent Lynchburg lawyer George E. Caskie suggested changing the name to honor noted English statesman William E. Gladstone.
In the late 1800s, the canal was sold to the Richmond and Allegheny Railroad, who built train tracks along the canal towpath and soon sold it to the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. C&O built a rail depot in Gladstone which, due to its position halfway between Richmond and Clifton Forge, became an important transportation hub. While the hub has been inactive since the 1980s, the historic depot building is currently in the process of being restored and converted into a community center and museum.
Many Gladstone homes for sale are single-family homes with large lots, providing residents with country-style living and spectacular views while still maintaining easy access to the cities of Lynchburg and Charlottesville. Due to its location on the James River, Gladstone is a destination for outdoor recreation enthusiasts. James River State Park offers camping, hiking trails, and river activities. Gladstone homes are a short drive to several area colleges such as Sweet Briar College, Hampden-Sydney College, Longwood University, and the University of Lynchburg.